World's Longest Hallway by Bailey Carter.
+ Hotel California
I wasn't let down by the reference to the classic creepy song by the Eagles. The site's background looks like a desert sunset and the pictures add a nice touch. I really like that the navigation is parts of the hotel and that the page subheadings are lyrics from the song. It ties the stories to the name of the collection.
The introduction reminds the reader that myths and legends aren't all wizards and knights; urban legends and scary stories are myths as well! I'm also drawn to horror as a written genre, so this was a great find for me.
Irish Castle from Jon Sullivan's Travel Blog.
+ The Towers That Be
I'm a sucker for puns. Wondering what kind of collection could involve towers, I clicked it and was incredibly amused.
The site's setup is simple and to the point, and the pictures they chose are lovely. I really like that this collection of stories are told by the towers they took place in. It's a really unique angle and gives a different, slightly removed perspective from the action.
A large bouquet of roses. Source: Ashrita Furman.
+ A Collection of Roses
After my discover of the previous storybook, the name of this collection caught my eye. 'I bet this one is thematically connected by roses!'. Yes, this collection is also narrated by normally inanimate objects, but that's part of the fun of fairy tales. Instead of being the place where the action takes place, like the towers, the roses themselves are usually part of the cast, silent observers of the action. The storybook narrates the tales from their unique points of view.
Based on the storybooks I picked, I seem to be drawn to tales told from an outside perspective that ties them thematically together. I don't know that I would use such a theme in my own project, but it isn't something to be disregarded yet.


I am glad you saw that modern urban legends can be very much part of this class, along with traditional fairy tales and folktales! The UnTextbook is skewed towards the older stuff because that is what is in the public domain (published before 1923), but even in the case of public domain books, there are some urban-legend-type materials, like this book that just showed up at Project Gutenberg last week:
ReplyDeleteThe Mysteries of Modern London by George R. Sims
But there are lots of great sources for urban legends online (esp. Snopes.com), so urban legend Storybooks are always a great choice, and every semester there are some good ones!